Know About Citronella Oil & How to Identify the Purity
Citronella Oil was obtained from the leaves of different species of Cymbopogon. This is a common and very effective essential oil. It is known as citronella grass, Cymbopogon free nardus, Aceite de citronella, citronella de Ceylan, Cymbopogon nardus, java citronella, huile de citronennelle. It’s bionomical name is Cymbopogon nardus (L.) Rendle. It contains citronellal 5-15%, limonene 9-11%, geranyl acetate 1-2%, methyl isoeugenol 7-11%. It is used in the pharma, cosmetic, and food industries.
The “steam distillation” method used to extract Citronella essential oil.
➠ “GC” (Gas Chromatography) is the absolute but costly method to check the purity of the oil.
➠ “Paper Test” method is a cost-free method and can be applied.
➠ “Zero artificial substances” must be in pure oil.
➠ The oil of Citronella should not be slippery or oily.
Uses of Citronella Oil in Pharma, Food & Cosmetic Industries
USES IN PHARMA -
1. Insect repellent- This oil is a good insect repellent, prevents mosquito bites when applied to the skin. It can combined with vanillin which may increase the duration of mosquito protection up to three hour.
2. Anti-fungal- This oil has effective anti-fungal properties. It can be applied daily to reduce the danger of fungal infection.
3. Anti-inflammatory- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties which may help to speed up wound healing. It may help to reduce joint pain, back pain and menstrual cramps.
4. Weight loss- According to research studies inhaling the components of the oil may help to increase decreased feeding, reduces cholesterol level and reduce weight gain.
IN FOOD -
This is a strong flavoring agent. It is used in alcoholic beverages, nonalcoholic beverages, breakfast cereals, puddings and candies. It is used usually 3-35 ppm level and maximum level of use is 13-48 ppm.
IN COSMETIC -
1. The Citronella oil has several benefits of hair, treats dandruff, improve scalp and hair quality. It helps to reduce hair loss and dryness.
2. It has the properties to prevent from germs and fungal bacteria over skin. It has been used in creams for topical applications. It improves the skin tone, makes it smoother and tight, and helps to fight with acne.
Side Effects of Citronella Oil
➥ Avoid Citronella oil taking internally. While using in aromatherapy make sure for proper ventilation.
➥ It is safe for most people when applied to the skin in a small amount. It may cause skin irritation for some people which have very sensitive skin.
Buy Citronella Oil Online at Promotional Price