Know all About Cinnamon Oil : Origin, Active Components and More
Cinnamon oil is known as Cinnamomum Zeylanicum. It’s a small evergreen tree that belongs to the Lauraceae family and is native to Sri Lanka and India. It is also found in Jamaica and brazil and now it is grown in almost every tropical region of the world.
A cinnamon tree grew in moist well-drained soil. The leaves of the plant are oval in shape, and young leaves are red and mature to a deep green color. Flowers are greenish to yellow and are borne in clusters. The fruit is a dark drupe. Cinnamon was highly valued in the Indian traditional medicinal system. It has been used to treat various health disorders.
The bark of the tree peels and after four to five days of drying the bark is rolled on board to tighten the filling and then placed in the sunshine for further drying. Finally, they are bleached with Sulphur dioxide and stored in grades.
The major active components of cinnamon oil taken from the bark are eugenol and cinnamaldehyde. Eugenol is obtained from the leaf part of the tree and cinnamaldehyde is obtained from the bark of the tree and camphor from the root of the tree. The oil has a spicy and warm sweet taste and is used in aromatherapy. Pure Cinnamon oil carries antiseptic properties. Common name of oil is Ceylon cinnamon and true cinnamon.
It can blend well with Lavender oil, Cedarwood oil, Orange oil, Lemon oil and Neroli oil.
BOTANICAL NAME: CINNAMOMUM VERUM and CINNAMOMUM ZEYLANICUM
How to Make Cinnamon Oil, Know Properties and Chemical Composition
EXTRACTION METHOD (How to Make?)
The oil is extracted from the bark of the cinnamon tree by using steam distillation method.
Cinnamon oil has a clear yellow to brownish color. Soluble in ethyl alcohol, vegetable oil, and glacial acetic acid. Cinnamon oil is volatile in nature.
MELTING POINT- -7.5C
BOILING POINT- 253C
VISCOSITY- 0.041 +_ 0.001
The major component in cinnamon oil is cinnamaldehyde other constituents include eugenol, cinnamyl acetate,cinnamyl alcohol,methyl eugenol, benzaldehyde, cumin aldehyde, benzyl benzoate, linalool, monoterpene hydrocarbons.
KNOW EXCELLENT USES AND BENEFITS OF CINNAMON OIL
- Cinnamon oil is used in aromatherapy and is very beneficial in reducing depression, anxiety and better sleep.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of cinnamon oil have been found to be effective against streptococcus Mutans and candida ssp biofilm, two agents which are responsible for oral infection and cavity in teeth.
- Cinnamon oil is used in cosmetics as a preservative and also used in disinfectants.
- -Pure Cinnamon oil is used in many food ingredients like sugar-free gums, hard candy, tea and in baked goods.
- Cinnamon oil is used as an ingredient in toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, body lotion and in perfumes.
- Cinnamon oil can be mixed with a carrier oil and used for massage.
- We can use cinnamon sticks while preparing coffee and tea or hot beverages.
- For a good aroma we can use cinnamon sticks by placing one or two sticks into a large pot of warm water and letting the mixture simmer. This steam adds fragrance to the room.
- Cinnamon oil made by AOS Products Private Limited also helps in soothing the pain caused due to ulcers, especially for those that are a result of poor eating habits.
- By adding cinnamon oil to food like cookies and tea helps slow down the release of glucose in the blood thus leading to weight loss.
- Cinnamon oil also works as a natural way of birth control.
- It helps to reduce the stiffness of muscles and joints.
- People suffering from arthritis and other inflammation disorders should consume cinnamon oil to get relief.
- It controls blood sugar levels and is an effective remedy for diabetes.
- Cinnamon oil of AOS Products helps in respiratory conditions such as cold, influenza, sore throat, and congestion.
- Cinnamon oil also helps in increasing attention span, better virtual recognition memory, working memory and visual response speed.
Where to Buy Cinnamon Oil Online