Borage Oil Introduction and Properties
Borage seed oil is a nutritional supplement which is rich in essential fatty acid. Borage seed oil is considered as a native of both Europe and Asia. Borage is wild growing hardy native of Mediterranean, cultivated and naturalized throughout north America. The presence of high level of y-linolenic acid content in the seed of borage makes borage oil distinctively important mainly for the pharmaceutical research. The English word borage may be derived from the word borrach means a person of courage. Borage seed essential oil prevents the formation of blood clots.
BOTANICAL NAME------BORAGE OFFICINALIS
Borage plant have beautiful star shaped flower. The leaves and flower are edible. The fruit of borage is a dark brown or black oval nutlet with a flat base Borage has a salty flavor with a cucumbers aroma. The color of seedis dark brown. When stored unopened in its original packaging, its shelf life is 2 Years.
Borage Oil Chemical Composition and Extraction Process
Borage seed oil contains fatty acids such as linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, eicosenoic acid and erucic acid.
Borage seed oil is extracted by low temperature extraction method.
Borage Oil Excellent Uses and Benefits
- Borage oil has a high GLA or linoleic acid content. This substance acts like a hormone in your body helps to reduce inflammation and cardiovascular issues.
- Borage seed oil contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can be useful for people with atopic dermatitis.
- Borage seed oil is used for a hormone problem called adrenal insufficiency.
- Borage seed oil is used for blood purification.
- Due t to its antioxidant properties, borage essential oil can resist cancer that reduce oxidative genetic damage.
- It can helps reduce fat accumulation or weight gain by storing more brown fat than white fat.
- It is rich in Omega 3 and it can boost the growth of of premature babies .
- Borage oil helps cure skin diseases like eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and rosacea by correcting skin lipid deficiency. Borage oil sooth dry skin and makes the skin radiant.
- Borage seed oil helps to prevent inflammation of lungs.
- Borage seed oil also used to increase breast milk production.
- In food borage seed oil is eaten in salad and soups.
- Borage seed oil is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.