Know all About Wintergreen Oil, How to Make and More
Wintergreen oil is an essential oil obtained from the leaves of the wintergreen plant. The plant belongs to the genus Gaultheria which is commonly known as wintergreen. The term wintergreen means a plant that remains green throughout winter. We can also call this plant an evergreen plant. Wintergreen is a group of aromatic plants.
Wintergreen is a common flavoring in American productions like candies, chewing gum, smokeless tobacco, and snus. It is also used in mouthwash and toothpaste. It is commonly used in fine art printing. The therapeutic effect of plants is due to the presence of methyl salicylate. It’s an organic ester usually produced by many species of plants.
The compound was first extracted and isolated from the plant species Gaultheria procumbent. It can be manufactured synthetically methyl salicylate is used as a rubefacient and analgesic in deep healing liniments. Wintergreen is also used as a substitute for tea.
How to Make Wintergreen Oil?
The oil is pale yellow and aromatic in nature with a sweet woody odor. Wintergreen oil is extracted by steam distillation of the leaves of the plant. The plant belongs to the family of ericaceous native to North America, Europe, and Nepal. It’s a small shrub of 10 to 15 cm in length. The leaves are evergreen, ovate, and broad in shape, the flowers are bell-shaped, the fruit is like a berry and the leaf part of the plant has medicinal value. Wintergreen plant is a perennial herb with white and pink flowers with plants having creeping underground stem from which small reddish stalk grow, normally in June or July
You Should to Know About Lavender OilWintergreen plants produced tiny wax-like urn-shaped flowers. Wintergreen leaves and berries are edible. The leaves have a tart spicy, astringent taste, while berries are sweet and pleasant in taste, which is used in flavoring. Wintergreen oil is a pale yellow to reddish-brown clear oily liquid. The shelf life of the oil is two years. Stored in a cool dry area or in a tightly sealed container away from heat and light. Wintergreen oil is soluble in alcohol, and paraffin oil and insoluble in water, and propylene glycol.
Do you know? Wintergreen Oil Blends Well With?:
This amazing oil blends well with bergamot, eucalyptus, and peppermint oil. Pure Wintergreen oil is toxic when applied in high doses due to the presence of salicylates. It is also not to be used among people with chronic kidney or liver conditions. The oil is not safe orally overdose causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, and stomach pain.
Know How to Use Wintergreen Oil. Learn 16 Impressive Benefits
- Take two or three drops of wintergreen oil in a spray bottle and mix well. This mixture can be sprayed around the living room, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Take two drops of oil and add to a diffuser. This method is reputed to help ease the mental strain and nervousness.
- Add 1 to 2 drops of wintergreen oil to regular face wash; apply it on the face as usual. It helps to reduce acne and tone the skin.
- Add two drops of wintergreen oil to shampoo and apply to hairs. This mixture helps to prevent hair loss, dandruff, and extra oil.
- Add two drops of wintergreen oil in body lotion, this cream is used for stiff aching muscles.
- Two drops of wintergreen oil can be mixed with a carrier oil and applied to the chest to relieve cold and flu.
- Wintergreen acts like aspirin and produced a same effect like aspirin.
- It is having antipyretic properties to reduce fever when mixed with alcohol.
- It also helps in treating sexually transmitted disease like gonorrhea and other rheumatism.
- The oil is used in many analgesic ointments and liniments.
- This is also used in many candies and toothpaste.
- It is also used by perfumes industries.
- Wintergreen oil can be applied topically to reduced gum pain.
- Like aspirin wintergreen oil has blood thinning effect.
- Wintergreen leaf is sometimes applied directly to the skin as a wash for achy joints, sore muscles, and back pain.
- Wintergreen oil inhibits the growth of candida.
- Wintergreen oil made by AOS Products improves complexion, clarity, soothe dryness & irritation and rejuvenates the skin.
- Wintergreen oil increases blood circulation. It enhances metabolic functions and digestion.
- When added to the formulation for moisturizer and hair care products.
- Antispasmodic and Carminative properties of wintergreen oil help to decrease spasm.
- Winter oil gives a comforting sense of revitalization to exhausted and tender muscles.
- This essential oil helps in the treatment of flatulence, nervous convulsion, Amenorrhea, and breathing difficulties caused by congestion or ailments such as asthma.
Know Components of Wintergreen Oil
The main components of oil are methyl salicylate, alpha-pinene,myrcome,delta3-carene,limonene,3,7-guaiadiene and delta-caclinene.
Where to Buy Wintergreen Oil Online