Can Citronella Oil Repel Mosquitoes? Know How to Use?
Citronella is a natural oil that repels insects and bugs. Citronella oil is effective as a mosquito repellent, citronella oil evaporates fast from the surface of the skin, due to this reason its effect lasts for 2 hours only. Citronella oil has become a primary ingredient in most of the popular mosquito control products.
Citronella oil protects against mosquitoes and pests like flies and fleas. Now the use of citronella oil in insect repellent products has increased day by day because the oil can be applied to the skin without any allergic reaction and the oil is completely safe, when oil comes in contact with clothes it doesn’t stain the cloth. We can also apply oil on the areas of skin where mosquitoes have already bitten, it reduces the redness and itchiness. Citronella is the bio-active mosquito’s repellent.
Citronella Oil consists of three main components Citronellal ,Geraniol and Citronellol. Citronella oil does not kill mosquitoes, it only repels them. Citronella oil hides the scent of lactic acid, the carbon dioxide released by human beings, making it difficult for the mosquitoes to find us.
How to Use?
Citronella oil is best option when you are participating in outdoors games or when you are taking a walk it is non-toxic and safe for your skin also. We can make an insect repellent spray also by adding 7 to 10 drops of lemongrass oil and 15 drops of rosemary oil to 50 ml of carrier oil such as coconut oil with boiled water and vodka to your spray bottle to make a great homemade mosquito repellent spray that works best.
5 Unmatched Uses and Health Benefits of Citronella oil
- -Citronella oil has analgesic, pain-relieving, and anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of citronellal. It is used for treating arthritis and gives relief from pain and inflammation.
- -Due to the presence of citronella, it is used to treat painful cramps, sore muscles, muscle spasms as well as neuralgia.
- - Due to the anti-inflammatory properties of this oil, it is used to eliminating worms and microbes from the stomach and intestines.
- -Due to the presence of Camphene, it is used chiefly as the material of Synthetic Borneol, Sandalwood fragrance, Synthetic camphor, Synthetic perfumes.
- - Pure Citronella oil soothes the stomach lining and restores the balance in case of food poisoning.
Components, Properties and Applications of Citronella Oil
The main components of citronella oil are Camphene, Citronellal, Dipentene, Geraniol, Nerol, Methyl Cugenol, borncol, Thujyl alcohol and Geranyl acetate and so on. Due to the presence of citronella, it is used to treat painful cramps, sore muscles, muscle spasms as well as neuralgia.
Citronella oil has analgesic, pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties due to presence of citronellal. It is used for treating arthritis and gives relief from pain and inflammation.
Due to the presence of Camphene, it is used chiefly as materials of Synthetic Borneol, Sandalwood fragrance, Synthetic camphor, Synthetic perfumes, in addition to its good odor, geraniol is known to have repellent and insecticidal properties and used as a natural pest control agent having low toxicity. It has some direct applications as a fragrance ingredient in toiletries, perfumes, and detergents products.
Where to buy Original Citronella Oil Online